Friday, March 14, 2008

Natural Light Wedding

I shot Rita & Matt's wedding on March 8th using almost all available light. I fired off a couple of flashes during the first dance and was horrified by how the flash took all the ambience out of the lights at their cool reception venue, La Buena Vida Vineyards in Grapevine, Texas. So I decided to go all natural. As the night wore on, my shutter speed became slower and slower, but the shots I got without flash were so much more fabulous and true to the feel of the reception than the shots I would have gotten with a bright flash. Check out some shots of the night: The DJ's colored lights are always washed out and overpowered by flash. I had plenty of shots with normal, warm lighting, but I love this shot, the way the red light separates the couple from the background.This one was caught by Alberto. With flash, the back of his neck would have been really bright and the cigar would be too dark in the background.
A warm sparkler exit with all the ambience and fun of the party.Congrats to Rita & Matt and your natural light wedding!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing shots. La Buena Vida is a beautiful wedding venue, and you photographed it in all of it's natural magic. Great work!!! I'll pass it along.

Jessica said...

Hi Julie,
I found my way here searching for "natural light weddings" as I am shooting one this weekend. Care to share what lens you used?